Wednesday, November 25, 2009

NaNoWriMo: Forty Thousand! (AKA Caught Up!)


Woohoo!

I'm where I'm supposed to be in NaNoWriMo! Heck, I'm a handful of words ahead!

I was behind. Way behind. You can understand how far behind I was when I tell you that I caught up by writing fifteen thousand words in two days. (And I would like to say that Write or Die is a fine, fine thing. It didn't actually take that long to pound out the words, with Write or Die sitting there nudging me at every momentary pause. Himself being sick, so that we stayed home, also got more words written.)

Now, while these fifteen thousand words are not lovingly crafted words that slip together into lovingly crafted paragraphs that form the structure of a lovingly crafted plot... they are fiction. Coherent sentences and paragraphs of fiction. Without any of the extra blatant cheats like, say, having characters sing a round of "Hundred bottles of beer on the wall" for seventeen pages. And I'm confident that I know my two main characters well now, so when I rewrite the whole thing from top to bottom sometime after November, I'll enjoy writing them a lot more than I did at the beginning of this process.

So as progress for this year's NaNoWriMo goal, I'm very pleased. This year's goal was to write fifty thousand words of fiction. Period. And it's looking like I may make it. And if the goal of NaNoWriMo is largely to silence your inner editor, I can assure you that the last two days has my editor hiding in a corner, whimpering.

Photo: By Nick McPhee. Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment