Friday, October 9, 2009

SOTD: Serge Lutens Daim Blond

Suede and apricots.

Fact one about Daim Blond: I remember reading that leather scents don't really smell like leather, but instead smell like the chemicals used to treat leather. That certainly seems to be true of Daim Blond. It smells like a brand-new, well-pampered suede... something. A cloak, maybe. A fur-lined cloak, but since we're in a perfume fantasy it's leather and fur that didn't require actually killing anything. Pale blonde suede and deep silky white fur.

Fact two about Daim Blond: If I'm wearing this, the cold season has begun. The desire for bright, refreshing, breezy perfumes is gone. Now I want to be wrapped in olfactory warmth.

Fact three about Daim Blond: I like the top notes of this one the most. All day, I'll be resisting the temptation to spray on just a little more, to get the top notes again. Don't get me wrong - it's delicious from beginning to end, but the beginning is the best.

Fact four about Daim Blond: I love this stuff. It's one of "my scents". There are the scents that guest star, that I dig out of the sample box or the Drawer Of Forgotten Bottles and go "ooh!" and try them out for the day. And then there are the scents with well-established associations, that I put on and sink into. The ones that make me "smell like me", even if "me" smells twenty different ways because I have far too many favorites.

New discovery about Daim Blond, as I do the review roundup: Hey, it has a hawthorne note? Is that the special part that I can't put my finger on? I'm adding hawthorne to my list of Notes To Investigate.

I usually wear Daim Blond when I'm at least a little dressed up and going out on a cold day. Today, I'm wearing pajamas and socks. As I suspected, it works well that way.

Review Roundup: Perfume-Smellin' Things and Perfume-Smellin' Things again and peredepierre and Fragrantica and Basenotes and MakeupAlley and Boomtown Boudoir and Sweet Diva and The Non Blonde and Pink Manhattan and wouldsmellassweet and Perfume Posse and Katie Puckrick Smells and Bonkers About Perfume.

Edited to add to the Review Roundup.

Photo by Fir0002, Wikimedia Commons. Click for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment