Thursday, October 8, 2009

SOTD: Rochas Tocade

I bought this unsniffed. Bad me.

On the other hand, this one is very inexpensive. A decant would have been a large fraction of the cost of the bottle.

And it has good recommendations! Apparently Luca Turin liked it very much, and it went on to totally unanticipated success, thus giving Luca Turin a reputation for a sort of fragrance-business clairvoyance. At least, that's how I remember it - the story is in The Emperor Of Scent, by Chandler Burr, which I recommend but unfortunately don't have on hand. So it's, y'know, got history, as much as a new scent can, anyway.

Anyway, I got the bottle. Unsniffed. Bad me.

It's a wonderfully ridiculous bottle. I'm too much in fear of the Trademark Police to actually show you a picture in this post, but you can see it here. I love this thing.

When I first sprayed it on, I was disappointed - it was an average "perfumey" rose scent. Then the sharp perfumey notes burned off and it's a nice rose and vanilla. I can see why many people call it a comfort scent, though it's not really comforting me - my comfort scents usually involve tea.

I must confess that I'm not excited, but perfumes in the comfort scent category often have to grow on you, so I'll we'll see. It is improving as the minutes tick by.

Meanwhile, here's the review roundup: Perfume-Smellin' Things and Perfume-Smellin' Things again and Now Smell This and Basenotes and Muses in Wooden Shoes and ScentSate.

Edited to add to the Review Roundup.

Photo: Mine

No comments:

Post a Comment