Thursday, October 8, 2009

Gardening: Snails Bad


So, I started gardening in Northern California. And snails ate everything. And over time, I found a few plants that snails did not eat. And every time I came to the garden to find a new row of de-leafed plant stems, I grumbled, why, in all of the Internet, don't I see a list of plants that snails don't eat?

So I figured I'd list out my puny knowledge of Plants That Snails Didn't Eat In My Garden:
  • Artichokes
  • California Poppies
  • Dill
  • Four O'Clocks
  • Herbs, in general, except for a few exceptions like basil
  • Japanese Anemones
  • Lemon Verbena
  • Nasturtiums
  • Onions, Garlic, Chives, Leeks, the whole allium familly
  • Oregano
  • Oriental Poppies
  • Raspberries
  • Red Russian Kale, but no other kale that I tried.
  • Roses
  • Sage
  • Sweet Bay
  • Tarragon
  • Thyme
  • Tomatoes

There are a few Plants That Can Sometimes Outgrow Snails:
  • Pole Beans, if you protect them up to several inches high.
  • Pole Peas - same thing.
  • Sweet Peas - same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment