Saturday, March 27, 2010

SOTD: Un Lys. And Rambling.

When I buy a bottle after long consideration and sampling, I always worry that something will go wrong. Maybe the bottle won't be the same as the sample. Maybe the last wearing was the last time that I'll like the fragrance. Maybe the perfume will suddenly become one of those that give me a migraine.

Nope. I wore Un Lys from my new bottle for the first time, and it was just as beautifully grainy-lily as ever.

Then, despite being thoroughly lily-scented, I went perfume sampling.

First, Hermessence Brin de Reglisse. Lavender. Medicinal. Licorice. No eagerness to please.  I think I like it.

Next, Chanel No 18, the Les Exclusifs version. I wanted to try this for the ambrette seed. Like many Chanels, it's so well blended that I can't pick the notes apart. Perhaps that's why I can't describe it. A little musky, a little vegetal, a little bitter? I need to try it again.

Next, Annick Goutal Heure Exquise. I was excited that Neiman Marcus had a tester, but my excitement was dampened by the fact that they didn't actually have a bottle in stock. I tried it anyway.

I like it, but it doesn't strike me as a big market pleaser - the top notes are somewhere between "classic" and "old lady". But it got better and better as the hours went by. Now, a good twelve hours after application, that patch of skin is a lovely blend of floral and green and a little bit of powder. For a review of this one, head over to Muse in Wooden Shoes.

And finally, I gave Tom Ford Velvet Gardenia yet another try. I've discussed this one. Repeatedly. Today the elusive beeswax is showing itself, and I'm craving it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment