Monday, April 26, 2010

SOTD: Le Labo Jasmin 17


After all my enthusing over A La Nuit, I thought I'd give one of my previous favorite jasmine fragrances a try. So, today I used up the last sprays of my sample of Le Labo Jasmin 17.

Both fragrances are undebatably jasmine-focused, but they're very different. A La Nuit is a deep pool of silk and honey; Jasmin 17 is powder and lace. Jasmin 17 is brighter and fresher and more frilly-flowery than A La Nuit, and in my days of lower jasmine tolerance, I preferred that.

But now I think I prefer drowning to frills. This scent is lovely for a few minutes, but I grow tired of it. Too much lace, too much powder, and I think too much neroli - I've never liked neroli for more than a few minutes.

Which leads me to the notes - according to Legerdenez, they're Jasmine, litsea cubeba, neroli, palma rose, bigarade, amber, musk, sandalwood, and vanilla.  A lovely sounding collection, and I once enjoyed the result very much, but now it's been bumped out of my list of favorites. For a full-strength dose of jasmine, I prefer A La Nuit; for a casual jeans-and-sneakers summery-day jasmine, I'll take Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint.

Review Roundup: Perfume-Smellin' Things and Perfume-Smellin' Things again and Aromascope and Legerdenez and Fragrantica and Basenotes.

Image: By Sie Bot. Wikimedia Commons. 

2 comments:

  1. I have to say I loved Jasmin 17 when I tried it last summer, and almost went for a FB of it, despite the dull bottle design and high price tag in question. I agree that it is brighter and easier to wear, but I didn't mind the extra neroli and cannot recall the powder or frills. Must get my samples out for a retrial (I have stockpiled a few...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy, flittersniffer! I didn't remember the powder either - it's possible that I'm over-powder-sensitive just now, for who knows what reason. But the neroli's there all the same, so it will never be a favorite for me. I don't know why I dislike neroli, but the fact that I love it for a few minutes and then dislike it leads me to believe that I'll never love it.

    ReplyDelete