Monday, December 21, 2009

Answers: Anosmic? Eh?

Giant from Jack and the Beanstalk, sniffing.
I merrily referred to myself as anosmic to some notes in this review, and it occurred to me that I should offer a definition of the word.

Anosmia refers to the inability to smell. Specific anosmia refers to the inability to smell certain things, as in the phrase "anosmic to musk". (And, as it happens, many people are anosmic to musk - it's one of the more frequent of specific anosmia.)

In my case - just in case anyone should ever want to know in the context of my reviews - I seem to be anosmic to whatever causes pepper notes in L'Artisan Parfumeur scents, and I appear to smell ambergris (really, probably some chemical or chemicals used to simulate ambergris) "wrong". I may have other quirks with my sense of smell, but those are the closest that I can nail them down so far.

Link Roundup: Fragrance Bouquet and Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment