Monday, December 28, 2009

SOTD: Serge Lutens Un Lys

Closeup of a piece of penuche.
I didn't make a considered decision to wear Un Lys today. It started when I couldn't find the dabber bottle where I'd dumped my sample. After a frantic search, I found it, sniffed the top of the bottle, found the smell oddly medicinal, and applied the smallest of smears to make sure that it's surviving all right.

The resulting cloud let me know that it's surviving just fine, and that you can't wear just a little of this perfume. That is, you can, but it won't act like just a little. Extremely light application accelerates the drydown, but once any of it's on, that's what you're wearing today. So I made the most of it and dabbed away.

I still love this stuff. I liked the accelerated drydown that results from minimal dabs - I enjoy the barely-grainy sweetness of the later phases more than the clear, high-pitched beginning. The olfactory texture, if I can call it that, reminds me of old-fashioned slightly grainy fudge, or penuche, though the scent itself has nothing to do with food. It's a very satisfying sensation.

Review Roundup: Is here.

Photo: By Mackinac Fudge Shop. Wikimedia Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment