Saturday, December 19, 2009

SOTD: Diptyque Tam Dao

I read a debate about Diptyque's Tam Dao today. Some folks argued for it as the very best sandalwood fragrance, others argued that it's a synthetic cloud of ISO E Super. So I wore my sample, to decide for myself.

So. Sandalwood.  All sandalwood - I'm not getting the cedar that others mention. And, well... yeah, it's sandalwood.

It's nice. It would be hard to argue that it's not nice. Pleasant. Smooth. Good-smelling. If I owned a full bottle, I certainly wouldn't be getting rid of it.

But I don't feel the desperate urge to own that full bottle. I'm fonder of my Art of Shaving Sandalwood, eucalyptus and all. Tam Dao is just a little too smooth and linear for me - or I may not have a sufficiently educated nose to find what makes it so well-loved. For me, it's Perfectly Nice, like Philosykos, another Diptyque scent that doesn't capture me.

Review Roundup: Now Smell This and Bois de Jasmin and The Non Blonde and MonkeyManMatt and  Aromascope and Perfume Posse and Perfume Patter.

Edited to add to the Review Roundup.

Illustration: Wikimedia Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment