Saturday, December 26, 2009

BOTD: French Fried by Nancy Fairbanks

Photograph of the Palais des Papes, Avignon, France.
Summary: American food writer and chemist husband encounter good food, cranky people, and bumbling murderous intent in France.

Rapid Fire: Liver paste. Japanese food. Hypermetropes. Adultery. Charles de Gaulle. Human Resources. Avignon carousel. Winston Churchill. Broken heels. Circuit breaker.

First Paragraph Score: 2/5

Overall Score: 2.5/5

Recommendation: Worth finishing. I'm not sorry that I bought it, but I did buy it used. I'm hoping that this is a weaker member of a stronger series, because I like the elements, they just don't come together in an entirely satisfactory way in this one.

Photo of Palas des Papes, Avignon, by Jean-Marc Rosier. Wikimedia Commons.

2 comments:

  1. i like this review format. right to the chase... I will be interested to see it applied to a book that you like better to see if it tempts me to pick it up. Though liver paste almost sold me, just wondering what the heck that was and how the author used it in the plotline. !?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The old format was too much work and I didn't like the product. This one is less work and so far I like the product better. We'll see. :)

    The liver paste is just pate, as in pate de foie gras, but I was too lazy to find how to make the right accent, and just plain "pate" made me think of a head, as in "bald pate". So I went with liver paste. :)

    ReplyDelete