Saturday, January 5, 2013

SOTD: A Shalimar novice's impressions

Is it weird that I feel that I can't just say "Shalimar"? I feel the need to clarify the strength and vintage. I'm new to this classic; this is the third variant that I've tried in the past few weeks, or the fourth, if you count the Parfum Initial.

I felt that the current EDP had perceptible flaws. Not that I know Shalimar at all well, but if that EDP is the perfume, I'm not going to be a fan. It was quiet and rather dreary, the citrus and vanilla showing up for work but without any enthusiasm. The burned rubber was there, but it was in a bad mood.

A sample-sized decant of the vintage EDT, on the other hand, had sparkling citrus sometimes lifting up the flowers, sometimes good-naturedly wrestling with leather and rubber, with a velvety fog of vanilla mellowing it all. This was, I must admit, all on fabric--I was headed for a no-fresh-perfume social occasion. I'll try it properly on skin, but I think I'm going to want more.

Today I wore a couple of drops of the non-vintage extrait, and I can't make up my mind. It's neither dreary or sparkling; it's closer to a comfort scent than a bombshell perfume. I was planning to buy a half-ounce new bottle; now I'm not so sure.

Image: Wikimedia Commons.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried any vintage of original Shalimar for a very long time, so can't comment on that, but I recently had a surprise rapprochement with Parfum Initial, whose drydow really grows on me every time I wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo, Vanessa! That's interesting. Looking at my own review of Parfum Iniitial for a reminder, I see that I liked the middle, though not the topnotes and not the finalfinal drydown. Hmm. There's enough left in the sample for a couple more wearings (unless I gave it away?) so I'll see if it grows on me.

    ReplyDelete