Monday, November 7, 2011

Cold Weather Gluttony Part Two: Chanel No. 5

So, I'm thinking of buying Chanel No. 5.

Not because I actually like it. I don't like it. But there are other classic fragrances that are slowly growing on me, and I'm becoming increasingly convinced that someday I will like it. And when that day comes, will it still be any good? Shouldn't I buy it now?

Now, I realize that this dangerous train of logic could apply to a hundred different perfumes. But this is, y'know, Chanel No. 5. It's that perfume. Shouldn't I have it? Shouldn't I be working on learning to appreciate it, just as I'm working on learning to appreciate Mitsouko and Coco? Shouldn't I?

Or is this just tying into that winter gluttony thing?

Ignoring my sanity level, are any of the currently available No. 5 concentrations any good? Extrait? EDT? Am I right to feel dubious about the EDP, or is that just from my experience with the No. 19 EDP?

Advise me or stop me. Take your pick.

Image of Ernest Beaux: Wikimedia Commons.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Chicken Freak, I never thought I'd appreciate No 5 - however, purchased Eau Premiere (unsniffed....!!!) and found it to be divine. I felt the same as you, that I simply must appreciate No 5. From further reading, it seems that No 5 EDP is not the true* No 5 formula. This is according to Luca Turin, in 'Perfumes The Guide'. I based my purchase of a No 5 version on what I would wear now. The Eau Premiere is gorgeous. So in answer to your question, yes - I think you are right to feel dubious about the EDP. Go for the EDT or Eau Premiere! And enjoy : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every woman should have a bottle of Chanel No. 5 whether she likes it or not.

    Men should get a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Anonymous! (?) Yes, I keep hearing good things about Eau Premiere. For some reason, I feel resistant about it; maybe because it's a new flanker for a classic? But it sounds like I should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo, Jennifer! Hee. So I've got to buy it, right? Mandatory perfume spending!

    Chanel No. 5 would do quite tolerably well as a men's fragrance, I think.

    ReplyDelete