Friday, October 8, 2010

SOTD: Parfumerie Generale L'Eau Rare Matale. And back to the handkerchiefs.

I didn't dare attack my angry sinuses with a relatively unknown fragrance today, so I sprayed on smooth, clear, L'Eau Rare Matale. It worked beautifully. The new bottles stand by, all proud and shiny, waiting for their chance.

Meanwhile I'm considering a handkerchief purchase. I've been planning, for a while, to become a Handkerchief Person rather than a Kleenex Person. It seems so much more dignified. I'm no doubt influenced by Judith Martin's assertion that, "Weeping into paper is disgusting; weeping into fine linen is romantic drama." I'm planning on sneezing, not weeping, but still.

I have ten or so handkerchiefs already, some vintage (from my own family), some nice big modern cotton squares, but that's just enough for special occasions. Because I'm not an Ironing Person, I need enough for a month, so that I can wash and iron the whole batch all at once and then put the iron away for thirty days.

I'm tempted to declare this a collection and hunt down some more vintage, but will I really use those? Gently dabbing a barely perspiring brow with someone's carefully handcrafted embroidery and hemstitching is one thing, but is it proper to sneeze into vintage?

Review Roundup: Is here.

Image: Wikimedia Commons.

4 comments:

  1. If you can get them for only $4 a pop, sure, why not?

    http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_query=linen+handkerchiefs&search_type=all&shopname=solsticescents&ref=auto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! Well, maybe that's all right, then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or carry on with the Kleenex but VIEW your collection of vintage handkerchiefs as you blow?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. Well, I'd have the collection, and something pretty in my purse, but there would still be the "where do I throw away this thing?" problem.

    ReplyDelete