Wednesday, January 6, 2010

SOTD: L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzing!

It wasn't weird enough.

I love the idea of Dzing!. The circus scent. Leather and horses and rubber and stale peanuts and cotton candy. I love the bottle, with the lady-riding-the-tiger logo.

And I love the idea of its weirdness. I like weird. I like scents with gasoline and mothballs and dry cleaning fluid and pencil erasers. I don't like the ones with stale nuts, but I'm sure they'll grow on me. After comparing Bandit's animalic note with that of Dzing!, I decided to wear it today and bask in the weirdness.

But I don't actually experience it as weird. And I find this disappointing.

It's nice. It's very nice. It starts out with an odd rubber/leather/animal note, and progresses to a soft ambery sweetness. Very enjoyable. I'm more than willing to try it again. But when I do, I hope I get the weird.

Review Roundup: Now Smell This and Bois de Jasmin and Perfume-Smellin' Things and Perfume Posse and Legerdenez and PereDePierre and Perfume-Smellin' Things and The Non-Blonde and Now Smell This again and Now Smell This a third time and PereDePierre (brief) and Now Smell This (brief) and Feminine Things (brief) and WouldSmellAsSweet (brief) and The Left Coast Nose and Perfume Nerd and SmellyBlog and Feminine Things and Nathan Branch and +Q Perfume Blog and Perfume Shrine (extra brief) and The Scented Salamander and Chandler Burr and Katie Puckrick Smells (video) and MakeupAlley and Fragrantica and Luca Turin's review quoted in the NYTimes and Basenotes and Badger & Blade and The Wit of the Staircase and Sanguinista and Perfume Patter and Mossyloomings.

8 comments:

  1. Oh what an interesting review. I wouldn't call it particularly weird either, but the animalic note is waaaaay too strong for my nose. I can smell the elephant dung and it doesn't escape me. I've tried to love this, since a dear friend raves about it, but I think it doesn't love me...hence leaving dung on my wrist ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking about weird fragrances - have you smelled Joop Homme? I had a quick wiff of it this morning and it made me think of you. I've just looked up the notes on OsMoz and it all sounds quite normal. However, smelling it - it had a certain chemically/artist studio / gas station oddness to it. Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a sample of Dzing! languishing in my little samples-for-testing box. Will have to drag it out!

    Funny... I can sometimes comment from my work 'puter, but not from home. (Wonder if my laptop will work - I'll try it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovethescents, I couldn't get _any_ appreciable animalic note. I was disappointed. I don't know if I had traces of Tubereuse Criminelle left and that was taming the Dzing!, or what it was. (TC would certainly win a brawl with Dzing!. She'd be marching away with the circus tent on fire and the elephants cowering but smelling like tuberoses...)

    SignatureScent, I never have. I'm adding it to the Sniff List. Artist studio/gas station sounds great, thank you.

    Mals, yes, try it. When it's weird it's weird, which I consider to be a bonus, and when it's not, it's nice.

    The commenting thing is just strange. If it were always one or the other on a given computer I'd think it was some strange security setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I like scents with gasoline and mothballs and dry cleaning fluid and pencil erasers."

    CF, you are a peculiar, yet strangely compelling individual! I am a big fan of Dzing! and find it about as animalic as Bal a Versailles, which is quite a lot. This is apparently down to castoreum, hence why I can publicly love it without compromising my other screen name of VM I hate civet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strange points! I get strange points! :)

    Ah, that's interesting. I never knew what castoreum was - it's been one of the many never-quite-get-around-to-Googling questions in my head. So it can promise animalic elements? I'll have to give it a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paloma Picasso? I make a Note, thank you. This is for the castoreum or the weird or both?

    ReplyDelete