Tuesday, February 22, 2011

SOTDays: Parfumerie Generale Iris Taizo, and grumpy scents


I've declared before that this is a good grumpy scent, and it's proven to be so again. After a scent-free Sunday, I wore this on Monday, and it worked so well that I wore it again today.

Many scents start out waving their prettiest flags, and then settle into something deeper and darker--satisfying when I'm in a good mood, but not always when I'm not. This one starts out at its grumpiest, then turns prettier and sweeter over time. Maybe that's the key.

So, of course, I have to look at my wardrobe to identify other scents that do the same thing. Tubereuse Criminelle seems to qualify, with the gasoline-and-mothballs opening that slowly turns into mothball candy. And... um... that may be all. There are the scents that start out bracing and stay that way, like Fou d'Absinthe and L'Eau Rare Matale, but I don't see any others that start out in a Mood and then slowly develop into quiet comfort.

Review Roundup: Is here.

Image: By Pryzkuta. Wikimedia Commons.

8 comments:

  1. I would perhaps suggest a couple of others from the PG stable - Un Crime Exotique and Aomassai - which are too spicy initially to my nose, but soften into a wonderfully sticky gourmand mess. Oh and L'Ombre Fauve is super medicinally grumpy also to begin with. Damien Bash Lucifer #3 is the same. Arguably SIP Magazine Street too. Initial grumpiness is in fact a pretty major problem for me generally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I love Iris Taizo - a very unique take on Iris in my opinion. And its true - it does start out a bit odd and rough, then smooths out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo, Vanessa! Un Crime Exotique, I see as happy from the beginning, probably because of the pfeffernusse thing - if I didn't associate it with well-loved cookies, yep, I agree that it would start out a bit grumpy.

    Aomassai, now, I'm going to have to re-try with this goal in mind. I would have said that it starts out friendly and sticky, but there is a brooding spicy wood note at the beginning, isn't there?

    L'Ombre Fauve. L'Ombre Fauve. I _know_ I've tried that, but my mind's a blank. And I've never experienced the other two; got to sample now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo, Michael! Yes, Iris Taizo is gorgeous. And weird. I can't manage to categorize it, but I love it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree about the grumpiness. I wear Iris Taizo when I feel sullen and uncooperative. It's a prime PMS fragrance in that it supports my feelings of general intractability, while still remaining pleasant for me, like a friend who joins you in glaring at the rest of the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the Iris Taizo, I really like it. It becomes quite smooth after you wear it for a while. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Olenska! I really like that glaring friend image :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yo, Scentuality! Yes, it is a nice one.

    ReplyDelete