Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Twitter: Let's #fumechat! (Friday, January 7, 10pm Eastern)


Apparently resistance is useless, because I am now using Twitter.

Tonight I was participating in BlogChat, a Twitter-based chat ("TweetChat") about blogging--great throngs of people all typing like mad, exchanging blogging ideas. And it occurred to me that, hey! There are plenty of perfume-type folks on Twitter, and they do some perfume chatting, but wouldn't it be cool if we were occasionally all around at approximately the same time, for higher-speed perfume chatting? Of course it would!

Now, I know little to nothing about the etiquette of TweetChats, and in fact I know very little about the etiquette of Twitter--my knowledge hasn't advanced substantially since this post. But why let ignorance hamper me?

I proposed the idea, and Eyeliner On a Cat and EauMG were both kind and encouraging to my crazy poultry self, and we concluded that Fridays at 10pm Eastern would be a fine, fine time to talk about perfume, and that #fumechat would do just fine as a hashtag. This Friday is an unlikely time, given that whole New Year's thing, so let's put the first chat off a week.

So, Friday after next, January 7, 10pm Eastern, 7pm Pacific, let's #fumechat on Twitter!

Image: By Green Lane. Wikimedia Commons.

15 comments:

  1. Cool idea--I'm not much of a tweeter but I'll try to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ra Ra #Fumechat!I'll be there, AND I'll be square, with my Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to fume chat!
    But I can't. :( I'm asleep at that time.
    Hopefully you'll do it at some other times in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  4. At four in the morning my time, this is going to be hard, I´ll second Ines that we should find a European-friendly hour too some time. But maybe my kids are up very early, then I´ll join you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Yes, please come, Queen Cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bwaha! Actually, Carrie, that equipment could solve the whole timing problem....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy, Ines! You're right, we need to also have a European time. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, olfactoriastravels! Yes, we'll have to figure a European time somehow. I need to find a nice time zone chart and understand it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still don't know my time zone. I don't watch TV. How could I know?
    OK, so I'm 7pm. It's on!
    I'm thinking for an Euro fumechat, we or they could retweet main topics? It should be easy if we use a hashtag, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yo, EauMG! I'll see you there!

    Hmmm, yes, that should be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 10pm on a Fri night might be challenging, but will try to join!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, if you use the hashtag, different crews can come on at different times and pick up threads. Might then be good to have a host for each crew, if there are multiple chat times, who takes responsibility for identifying topics/threads covered by the earlier crew(s).

    Of course, not necessary. Just a thought.

    There are free for all chats, and ones that try to keep a certain thread/topic going. For perfume people, there are plenty of possibilities: specific notes, vintage perfume, new releases, shopping experiences, houses, adored scents, etc. etc. I think you could probably get a year's worth of topics by combining the full possibilities there, plus a quarterly seasonal chat (spring + perfume, etc.), and some other recurring stuff.

    My 2, erm, 13 cents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, and...

    ...came back to make clear by "pick a host" it doesn't have to be ONE host; that could end up being a big job. Could job share, either be week or month or topic or season. Or mercury retrograde. You know, some plan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, Marina! Yes, join! Next week if not this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yo, ScentScelf! It was a free for all this first time, but a topic could be fun, too. :) And a host. And like that. And we'll need to figure out a European time - Or, I suppose it would be logical for the Europeans to pick out a European time, yes?

    ReplyDelete