Monday, December 27, 2010

SOTD: Balmain Ivoire, and soap

I mentioned that yesterday's scent, Hermes Hiris, included a note that I read as soapy. It reminded me of another "very expensive soap note" scent, Balmain Ivoire. I wanted to smell it again, so that's what I wore today.

Divina on Fragrance Bouquet described this aspect of Ivoire (all aspects of it, for that matter) far better than I could, and in fact her post may well be credited with my acceptance of soap as a note to enjoy.

I'm still picky--the soap note has to make me think of a creamy, sudsy bar, or perhaps a bubble bath, rather than a box of laundry powder or a clothesline of drying clothes. Hiris and Ivoire are the "sudsy bar", and Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint bath oil, a favorite, oddly makes a bubble bath smell soapier than the bubble bath itself does. Lorenzo Villoresi Musk, sadly, leans a little too far on the laundry side, though I manage to like the fragrance for other elements. And Kieh's Musk Oil is pure laundry room for me.

Ivoire was as lovely as ever, and I enjoyed the soapy part of its development. One day soon, I may wear Hiris on one arm and Ivoire on another, to compare the creamy expensive suds vibes.

Meanwhile, any suggestions for other creamy-soap scents?

Review Roundup: Is here.

Image: By Malene Thyssen. Wikimedia Commons.

4 comments:

  1. Mmm, soapy! That sounds like it would hit the spot.

    Thinking of other scents with creamy soapy elements, how about Le Labo Ambrette 9? It's a scent meant for babies and mothers, it smells very clean, milky and soft to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, a lot of greens (Silences, for example) and aldehydes (No 5, actually) read to me as soapy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Carrie! Oh, yes, yes, I see your point. I keep trying Ambrette 9 every time I'm at Barney's, but that's always when I'm oversaturated with sixteen other scents. I should get a sample for a proper try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy, Marine! Yes, I see your point. For a long time I was opposed to all aldehydes _and_ all soapy notes; maybe reconciling with them is a simultaneous kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete