Monday, December 27, 2010

SOTD: Balmain Ivoire, and soap

I mentioned that yesterday's scent, Hermes Hiris, included a note that I read as soapy. It reminded me of another "very expensive soap note" scent, Balmain Ivoire. I wanted to smell it again, so that's what I wore today.

Divina on Fragrance Bouquet described this aspect of Ivoire (all aspects of it, for that matter) far better than I could, and in fact her post may well be credited with my acceptance of soap as a note to enjoy.

I'm still picky--the soap note has to make me think of a creamy, sudsy bar, or perhaps a bubble bath, rather than a box of laundry powder or a clothesline of drying clothes. Hiris and Ivoire are the "sudsy bar", and Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint bath oil, a favorite, oddly makes a bubble bath smell soapier than the bubble bath itself does. Lorenzo Villoresi Musk, sadly, leans a little too far on the laundry side, though I manage to like the fragrance for other elements. And Kieh's Musk Oil is pure laundry room for me.

Ivoire was as lovely as ever, and I enjoyed the soapy part of its development. One day soon, I may wear Hiris on one arm and Ivoire on another, to compare the creamy expensive suds vibes.

Meanwhile, any suggestions for other creamy-soap scents?

Review Roundup: Is here.

Image: By Malene Thyssen. Wikimedia Commons.


Carrie Meredith said...

Mmm, soapy! That sounds like it would hit the spot.

Thinking of other scents with creamy soapy elements, how about Le Labo Ambrette 9? It's a scent meant for babies and mothers, it smells very clean, milky and soft to me.

Marina said...

You know, a lot of greens (Silences, for example) and aldehydes (No 5, actually) read to me as soapy

ChickenFreak said...

Hey, Carrie! Oh, yes, yes, I see your point. I keep trying Ambrette 9 every time I'm at Barney's, but that's always when I'm oversaturated with sixteen other scents. I should get a sample for a proper try.

ChickenFreak said...

Howdy, Marine! Yes, I see your point. For a long time I was opposed to all aldehydes _and_ all soapy notes; maybe reconciling with them is a simultaneous kind of thing.

Post a Comment