Saturday, November 13, 2010

SOTD: Ava Luxe Figuier


A recent post about figs on My Perfumed Life reminded me that I'm still unreconciled with fig perfumes. I do love Parfumerie Generale Jardin de Kerylos, though apparently not enough to actually buy it when it comes down to that or something else. Diptyque Philosykos is sugar-sweet and rather boring to my nose, and other figs rarely work much better for me.  So today, when rummaging through the sample stash, I chose Ava Luxe Figuier.

I like it, but I don't love it. It's not as sweet as Philosykos, but it's still a little too sweet. It has a powdery note, which is normally a negative to me, but in this case I like it - it's a nice powder, and it adds texture and makes the fragrance less fruity.

But I'm still a one-fig girl - Jardin de Kerylos is it. And I continue to puzzle over why others like most of the figs when I'm so very halfhearted about them. And why no one but me seems to read Philosykos as sugar sweet. Sometimes I imagine that my nose is the olfactory equivalent of partially color blind, and I find myself wishing for a smell-related test like those visual tests for color blindness - like this one - to find out if my nose is normal or not.

Meanwhile, I'm going to longingly stare at pictures of Jardin de Kerylos. Because my perfume purchase schedule tells me that I'm not allowed to buy any more perfume until, I believe, January of 2012.

Heh.

Image: By Jules. Wikimedia Commons.

4 comments:

  1. I am one of the people who doesn't get sweet from Philosykos - it is one of the woodier and drier figs to my nose. Like Tam Dao for figs. I wish we could all submit to some kind of objective test too. Amongst other things I'd love to have my civet sensitivity officially diagnosed. : - )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo, Vanessa! Yes, wouldn't it be cool? If it smells like strawberries, you're normal, if it smells like olives, you're scent-blind type A, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried Jardin de Kerylos, but must give it a go.

    Interesting that you find Philosykos as sugar sweet. Hm, that's not the way I find it at all. But I can remember the sugar-edge now that you mention it. I love trying to remember smells.

    Thanks for linking to my post. That's very kind of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya! Yes, yes, try JdK. I'm not sure why I haven't bought a bottle yet. If i'd remembered its existence when I was going crazy in The Perfume Shoppe, I might have one right now.

    Ah, that's interesting - that to you the sugar is an 'edge'. That makes me all the more certain that there's some other note veiling the sugar, one that I can't smell at all so that to me, it's unveiled.

    ReplyDelete