Saturday, September 25, 2010

SOTD: Diptyque Philosykos

Everybody likes Philosykos. Except for me.  It's been described as smelling like the whole fig grove, with green or leafy or woody or forest-floor notes in addition to the smell of the fruit. Nearly everyone makes a point of its lack of excess sweetness. Some say that it's challenging or a little sharp, but they always say it in a positive way.

My experience is  "Sweet. Oh, and there's some coconut. There might be fig in there, too. And did I mention, sweet?" I get absolutely no green, no sharpness, no wood. To me, it smells as if I had scooped out a slightly overripe fig (to avoid the slightly greener taste of the outer flesh), doused  the inner flesh with coconut milk, and sprinkled it with sugar. Nice for one bite, but not something that you'd want to smell all day.

It's unlikely that I'm right and everyone else is wrong. I must assume, then, that I'm anosmic to something essential in this fragrance. I wore it this one last time to confirm that my feelings hadn't changed; they haven't, so I'll be taking a small reference decant, and the bottle will be leaving.

Review Roundup: Now Smell This and Now Smell This again and The Non-Blonde and Sweet Diva and Perfume Posse and MakeupAlley and My Perfume Life and Basenotes and Fragrantica and A Rose Beyond The Thames and Badger & Blade and sakecat and EauMG and The Left Coast Nose (scroll down) and hesmellsshesmells and Polish, Platforms, Perfume and MossyLoomings (for the solid) and MossyLoomings again and I Smell Therefore I Am and parfumieren and Scent Of The Day  and Undina's Looking Glass.

Image: Wikimedia Commons.

5 comments:

  1. I hate Philosykos. Hated Premier Figuier, too, for the same reason: the bitter green combined with the coconutty-fruity bits just seems so Wrong.

    I don't mind the coconutty bit, and you know I love the green of galbanum, but the green of fig strikes me as being just plain mean.

    Ehh. I tell myself, you like what you like. There are too many good things to smell to stress about not liking something or other...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I love Philosykos, but good for you for standing tall and saying "not for me." I'll bet there are lots of others who don't get the love (like museinwoodenshoes, hello!) and they need a spokesperson too.

    Maybe it's the bitter green part you're not smelling? or the dry cedar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Muse! See, you hate it, but you still describe a fragrance totally different from the one that I smell. I get no bitterness, none at all. I might like it if I did.

    Howdy, kj! Yes, I think that's it. I might be able to imagine some cedar hiding inside all that coconut, but I'm definitely not getting the least little bit of bitterness. For me, the whole thing is candy or pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or perhaps it's not that you're asnomic to something, but that you'r hyper-sensitive to the sweet note and it drowns the others out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. That's an interesting thought, kj. Though I would think I would get _some_ hint of something else behind the sweet?

    ReplyDelete