Monday, October 3, 2011

Rambling: End of Summer

I like fall. I always forget that fact until the first cool windy rainy day comes along, and that happened today. When I walk out into the flapping leaves and gray clouds, it's as if for months I've been compressed by heat and sunshine and flowers, and suddenly that pressure is released. I feel free, like Saturday morning. I'm full of ambitions and plans, books to read and recipes to cook and projects to sew. It makes no sense -- I love sunshine and flowers -- but there it is.

Do the ambitions normally come to anything? I can't remember. After work today I marched over to The Farm and wandered around poking at everything, slowly getting soaked, admiring the progressing broccoli and gloating over the first pea and stealing a sunflower seed from the biggest flower head. After I got home, I finally got around to baking one of the acorn (I think) squashes from the garden that's been sitting around for weeks. And I'm thinking about possibly sewing a Halloween costume. Maybe. I don't know if it'll come to anything, but it feels good.

Image: Wikimedia Commons.

No comments:

Post a Comment