Saturday, September 18, 2010

SOTD: The Malignant Dreams of Cthulhu in Love by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Himself and I used to play the roleplaying game Call of Cthulhu, based on the horror fiction of H.P. Lovecraft. We're very fond of Cthulhu, even if he is an incomprehensibly evil monster bent on the destruction of all life. (And doesn't he make a cute puppet?) So when Himself found a perfume dedicated to him, he got me a bottle.

The picture on the bottle depicts Cthulhu's tentacles offering a heart-shaped box to... well, whoever Cthulhu's in love with. Accordingly, the notes are described as "an amorphous mix of oppressive, piceous ritual incense, macerated kelp, sea salt, sticky dark ocean plants, and… mixed chocolates." (More details are found here.)

That's pretty accurate. It starts out heavy on sticky aquatic goo and chocolates, and ends up more like incense and cocoa, but still with a good dose of eldritch slime. Yum.

Image: By Bastique. Wikimedia Commons.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds just weird enough to love.

    I'm 'whelmed' by BPAL's massive line and haven't investigated it seriously because it's...overwhelming. Perhaps this is a starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely hilarious! - and by a spooky coincidence, I have had occasion in the past to hunt down a pattern for a knitted Cthulhu, though I never came across this cuddly fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm seaweed in chocolate, I don't know about that. But I did love his Old Spice commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc90UhV6hJA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Josephine! I kept hearing about them, but never got around to trying them. After trying the wonderful strangeness of this one, I'll be sampling more.

    Yo, flittersniffer! Ooh! Did you knit him?

    Hey, kj! Thanks for the link - I never saw the commercial. It's great. :)

    ReplyDelete