Friday, June 4, 2010

SOTD: Several

Today started with modern Balmain Vent Vert. This is a scent that I tend to unfairly ignore, because it doesn't approach the glory of vintage Vent Vert. But it's lovely all the same, so why don't I wear it more?

Then I went to Alchemy Botanicals, again, to play with the Dawn Spencer Hurwitz perfumes, again. I re-sprayed Bancha, and while I still love the drydown, I found out that I'm not as big a fan of the first couple of hours. What to do? 

I re-sprayed Tubereuse, and it was, again, gorgeous. It starts out with a fog of tuberose candy mixed with gasoline, and, yes, that is a lovely thing, no matter how it might sound. The gasoline fades over time, leaving the tuberose candy, which is much nicer than other perfume candy.

I already have Parfumerie Generale Tubereuse Couture. I intend to buy Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle. I think that there's at least one other tuberose perfume that I own or intended to own. Just how wrong would it be to buy this?

I also tried Prana. It's interesting. It's puzzling. I got a strongly animalic feel from it, even though it doesn't contain even one animalic note. I suspect that I'm smelling a combination of the cardamom and oud.  Sadly, over time the oud started to dominate, and I really don't like oud. But this perfume comes closer to making me like it than any so far, so I may give it another try.

So, Vent Vert sort of lost the spotlight today. Maybe I'll try it again Sunday.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely day! Is this the very latest formulation of VV?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings, LBV! I'm not sure if it's precisely what they're bottling now - I bought it a year or eighteen months ago, from a discounter. But I bought it new then, so it's definitely not one of the two major earlier versions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the toothpicks is that pic OF?? Mother Teresa gummi bears??

    Re DSH Tubereuse: wonder if that slightly-uncomfortable topnote that you're reading as "gasoline" is what I'm reading as "the Tang Dust in the back of the throat Effect"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Mals! Freaky, isn't it? They're jelly babies, the favorite snack of Dr. Who. I had no idea that they were so, well, disturbing looking.

    Hmmm. Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same thing. Except I _like_ the gasoline, and the Tang dust doesn't sound pleasant?

    ReplyDelete